Cambia means change.Cambia is an independent non-profit institute creating new technologies, tools and paradigms to promote change and enable innovation.
Location & Facilities
World Patent Information, USA
December 1, 2015
A global Patent Sequence (PatSeq) Data platform can enable national and regional jurisdictions meet the public disclosure standards.
Nature Biotechnology, USA
November 1, 2015
Nature Biotechnology, USA
October 8, 2015
Similarities and differences in gene patent practices across three major crop and human genomes are exposed
Meet the team
We have highly skilled teams of Intellectual Property, Informatics and Molecular Biology experts with excellent administrative and executive support.
In April 2009, Cambia's main presence moved to the Gardens Point Campus of the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane, Queensland. The Cambia offices are nestled in amongst historic Government and University buildings on the edge of the Brisbane City Botanical Gardens and a short stroll from the Brisbane River.
A Canberra patent informatics facility is located with the NICTA (National ICT Australia) facility on Marcus Clarke Street, Canberra. Cambia's labs are currently in shipping containers somewhere between Brisbane and Canberra (we hope).
Before the move to Brisbane, Cambia was located in a self-contained building with fully equipped lab, on the Black Mountain research campus of the CSIRO and across the street from the campus of the Australian National University. Cambia had many interactions with ANU faculty in the Research School of Biological Sciences, Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies, Research School of Social Sciences, and the John Curtin School of Medical Research. Cambia's glasshouse facilities were also located on the ANU campus.
Facilities & Expertise
At present, Cambia's facilities and expertise are focussed on Information Technology and Intellectual Property. Between the two locations (Brisbane and Canberra), Cambia has access to extensive IT and IP resources as well as ample office, meeting and lecturing space.
In the near future, Cambia hopes to reinstate its CambiaLabs laboratory space - with plant growth rooms, laboratories and teaching facilites.
Cambia's facilities and expertise include:
- Well-established and expanding research programs centred around open innovation in the life sciences.
- One of the world's largest and most comprehensive full-text searchable patent databases, including full texts of PCT, European and US patents relevant to the life sciences. This facility is developed and maintained by a highly capable and creative informatics team.
- An internationally recognized in-house IP group to support new outcomes from research conducted by Cambia with a goal of providing analysis of Freedom to Innovate and Freedom to Cooperate.
- Years of experience in the patent portfolio development and licensing of intellectual property practiced in over 50 companies and hundreds of research institutions worldwide.
- International credibility in biotechnology, innovation and intellectual property policy, through advice and consultancy services to United Nations specialised agencies and conventions and other international bodies, including the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD)
- Formal linkages through Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) with numerous international research organizations including the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI).
- Skip to main menu
- Or continue reading for footer links and information.